AIAA gets the best of both worlds with a custom eLibrary integration.
Between magazines, books, journals, meeting notes, and other materials, AIAA has a large library of publications to sell. AIAA wanted to use a best-of-breed store front with netFORUM on the back end so they could keep all of their transactional data in one place and allow customers to purchase everything in a single transaction.
- AIAA’s library system was antiquated, did not have their desired aesthetic, was hard to use, clunky, and not well supported. It did not meet the needs of their growing organization, especially in terms of its usability and limited features to support marketing promotions.
- The desired publications partner, Atypon LIteratum, required checkout within the system, which posed two problems.
- Financials in Literatum would not automatically flow to netFORUM.
- Literatum only allows customers to purchase publications. Other products, such as memberships and events, had to be purchased in a separate transaction.
AIAA approached their technology partner, Gravitate Solutions, with their challenge. Gravitate devised a solution that allowed AIAA to use Atypon Literatum as a store front, while keeping the transactions in netFORUM.
- Gravitate created a web service using JASONP so the Literatum and netFORUM systems could speak to each other across domains.
- The elegant user interface seamlessly sends customers between netFORUM eWeb and Literatum for browsing, purchasing, and viewing publications.
- The actual transactions take place in netFORUM allowing financials to stay in the database.
- Single sign-on was enabled so that Literatum and netFORUM would both know who the buyer is and put publications directly into the customer’s eWeb cart along with any other products they wanted to purchase.